Many a times, it is required to prevent access to your computer in order to protect your data from unwanted access. Although there are various ways of restricting the access of the data like Hide the files and folders, locking the Folder without any Software or hiding the data within an image only. However, if a person knows a little bit computer, these tricks may be useless because an intruder may only need to make some clicks in order to access the locked data and transfer the data in USB drive and henceforth, use the data in some other computer.
This is where the underlying trick comes into play. In this tutorial, we are going to learn How to disable USB ports in Windows. This tutorial will require the access to registry and hence, one can Disable USB port using Registry without any Software.
How to disable USB ports on Windows PC using Registry ?
In this tutorial, we will be learning to block access to USB by simply blocking the ports of USB. This will allow one to prevent the transfer of data from the computer to that of the USB and thereby, preventing the access to the data. One more important application of blocking USB Ports is to prevent unwanted loading of Virus and Malware on the System and henceforth, preventing the Hacking of the data from the computer.
In order to use this trick to disable USB ports, simply follow the following steps :
- Firstly, click on Start Button and look for Run. Alternatively, Run can be started by simply pressing Windows key + R on the keyboard.
- In the Run Dialogue Box, type regedit and press Enter key. It will launch Registry Editor.
- Now, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR.
- In the work area, double click on Start option. In the value Data box, simply enter 4 and click on OK.
- Close all Windows and refresh your Desktop. Connect your USB in the USB port and test whether the trick has worked successfully or not. Sometimes, it is required to restart the Computer after making the Tweak and you will be good to know.
Now, above trick was how to Disable the USB Port . Now, in order to Unblock or Enable the USB Port, simply enetr the value 3 in the Value Data Box as in Step 4 and it will unblock your USB Port. Try it on and it will make your computer less vulnerable from any sort of theft or viruses and henceforth, prevent the unauthorized access to the computer. Also note that this trick of Blocking/Unblocking USB Ports works in Windows Xp,Windows 7,Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and even in Windows 10.
Have any problem regarding any of the above tutorial, Ask me it in comments or feel free to contact me on Facebook or Email. I will be happy to help you.
Have anything to add to this story, Say it in comments ……..